Good grab-and-go options:
- Unsalted nuts
- Pre-washed fruit like apples, pears, bananas, and grapes
- Dried fruit
- Pre-cut raw veggies
- Whole-grain crackers or pretzels
- Plain popcorn
- Peanut butter
Benefits of a cooler:
A cooler is another great idea—being sure to keep the cooler temperature at 40degrees F. A suggestion is to use ice packs to keep the cooler cool. The following are healthful options to pack:
- Reduced-fat cheese sticks or slices
- Reduced-sodium deli turkey sandwiches or wraps
- Individual containers of low-fat or fat-free wraps
- Low-fat deli, hummus or guacamole to eat with veggies or whole-grain chips
- Steer clear of sweet and salty snacks. If you want something sweet, try a piece of dark chocolate with fruit or a small handful of almonds.
- Avoid high-fat and high-sodium foods. They can make you feel sluggish and thirsty.
- Stay hydrated by drinking seltzer water or water with a little flavor added that’s low in calorie. Another option would be to add a slice or two of lemon or lime to regular water.
- Instead of coffee or soda, try packing a thermos of ice water or tea with sprigs of mint, slices of lemon or cucumber. The longer it sits in the car, the more refreshing it will taste.