Enjoy summer gatherings without the guilt! Lemon water can serve as a healthy alternative to other high caloric beverages. Lemon water has zero calories - making it a flavorful drink without all the excess calories.
Lemons are packed with nutrients, such as vitamin C, B-complex, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber.
Note: Because lemon juice can be hard on the enamel of the teeth, it’s important to dilute it with water of any temperature. It is recommended to drink lemon water first thing in the morning, and wait 15 minutes to have breakfast. This will help to fully receive the benefits of lemon water:
What are the benefits?
1. Gives the immune system a boost - Lemon juice is full of vitamin C. When we are stressed, the level of vitamin C in the body is first to go. This is why it is recommended to take in additional vitamin C on stressful days.
2. Excellent source of potassium - Lemons are high in potassium, making it good for heart health, as well as brain and nerve function.
3. Aids digestion - Lemon juice encourages healthy digestion by loosening toxins in the digestive tract, and helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion including heartburn, burping, and bloating.
4. Cleanses the system - Lemon juice helps flush out the toxins in the body by enhancing enzyme function and stimulating the liver.
5. Freshens breath - Lemon juice is known to aid in relieving toothaches and gingivitis. Because the citric acid can erode tooth enamel, it’s recommended to hold off on brushing teeth after drinking lemon water or brush teeth before drinking it.
6. Keeps skin blemish-free - The antioxidants in lemon juice can help to decrease blemishes and wrinkles too! It can be applied to scares and age spots to reduce their appearance, and because it is detoxifying the blood, it will maintain the skin’s radiance.
7. Assists in weight management - Lemons contain pectin fiber, which assists in fighting hunger cravings. In addition, it is a calorie free beverage without the hidden/additional sugar additives that other drinks contain.
8. Reduces inflammation - When lemon water is consumed on a regular basis, it can decrease the acidity of the body, where disease states occur. It removes uric acid in the joints, one of the main causes of inflammation.
9. Gives a energy boost - Lemon juice provides the body with energy when it enters the digestive tract and helps to reduce anxiety and depression. The scent of lemons alone is known to have a calming effect on the nervous system.
10. Helps cut out caffeine - Replacing morning coffee with a cup of hot lemon water can help one feel refreshed without the mid-afternoon crash.
11. Helps fight viral infections - Lemon water, warm, is very effective in diminishing viral infections and especially sore throats. The lemon juice also boosts the immune system, while simultaneously fighting off the infection completely.
So this summer, enjoy the freshness and the simplicity of lemon water, while attaining its benefits and omitting additional calories and sugar additives hidden in other beverages.